For this DIY fashion mini break you will need:
- Cut off shorts to desired length. I like to cut shorts while they are laying with side seam showing and cut at an angle so the back is longer and your bum is covered.
- Put on gloves.
Create barrier inside shorts to prevent the back side from being alter_ed. I use old plastic grocery bags.
- Pour bleach gel on small plate.
- Dip star stamp in bleach gel and press on front of shorts.
- Repeat in a random pattern on one side.
- Using flat tip of the sponge brush, drag bleach horizontally across the other leg to create stripes.
- Leave on flat surface until fabric is lightened to desired shade.
- Wash and dry shorts.
- Mix a small amount of RIT cherry red fabric dye according to directions. Using dye will create a vintage washed-out look but you could also use red fabric paint.
- Dip clean rectangle sponge brush in dye mixture and paint on the lightened stripes. The edges do not have to be perfect, just try to stay within the bleached lines.
- Let dye soak for an hour, then wash and dry shorts again. The color on the stripes will be very faded which looks perfectly relaxed and beachy.
- Using a small wire brush, add rips and frayed areas to the shorts on the lightest spots. The bleach weakens the fabric, making it easier to destroy.
- Wet the frayed areas and dry again to complete this DIY shorts project.
Friends don't let friends wear boring clothes-if you like creative fashion, please consider pinning this article .
Use #civilianstyle to show off your creative and thrifty fashion sense.